Printer Access Control Using Groups?
Scott A. Chaffin
2013-05-30 15:15:19 UTC
I am trying to determine if there is a way to use groups or printer
groups to control access to various printers that we have.

Let me explain our situation. We have several groups of users,
faculty, graduate students and undergraduate students among them. Each
of these groups has a number of printers that they can use:
undergraduates a few lab printers; graduates the lab printers and the
printers in the graduate offices and labs; and faculty in all of the
previous printers plus the printers in their own offices and the
department office.

I would like to be able to set up a group, say undergraduate users, and
grant them access to some printers based on this group membership. I
want to handle print quotas individually, but allow printer access
based on group membership.

When I have granted access to a printer to a group and then tried to
print to that printer by a user that is a member of that group I
receive an e-mail stating that printing is denied by printer policy.

What I tried was something like the following:

pkusers --add testuser/testuser-jMbK1v/RW1uaMJb+***@public.gmane.org

pkusers --limitby balance testuser

pkusers --balance +0.18 testuser

pkusers -a -g testgroup

pkusers -g testgroup -a testuser

edpykota --add --printer testprinter testgroup

And I wanted testuser to be able to print to testprinter because they
were a member of testgroup, but I found I had to add access to the
printer on a per-user basis.

Is it possible to do something like this using user groups or even
printer groups or is it necessary to grant access to printers on a
per-user basis?

Thanks,

Scott
Börje Sennung
2013-05-30 20:02:18 UTC
Just my input
I think that as an university, we have about the same situation. The question comes up every year or so, 'can we stop the students from using our printers'.

We have considered acces control list to printers, but the solution that we have is to put the question back to the departments: 'how much should the students pay when they use your printers?'

Since the usage is payed for by the students, we can transfer that payment to the department without trouble.
Access co9ntrol means a lot of administration, and when done wrong canb be very costly.

The net result is that we do not use acces control on the printers. If the user can pay, he/she can print.
If the printing is done on a printer behind a locked door, too bad for the user.

By the way, the accounting shows that there is more printing done by departments on student printers than the other way around.

Börje Sennung
System administrator Phone : +46 31 - 772 6736
Chalmers University of Technology Fax : +46 31 - 772 8660
412 96 Göteborg Sweden E-mail : bse-Ga8gg/***@public.gmane.org

DON'T POST IN HTML !
Scott A. Chaffin
2013-05-31 15:27:18 UTC
We already have access controls on our printers and use an in-house
developed print quota system, but we're looking at moving to Pykota
instead.

It is possible to do a per-user per-printer access control in Pykota
(in fact that seems to be the default) and that's pretty straightforward
to script. It would just be less work if there were a way to do it
using groups of users or groups of printers.

It seems like adding a user to a group and then adding access to a
printer for the group would work, but it doesn't seem to behave as I'd
expect. It also seems like adding a printer to a printer group and
then adding access to the printer group for a given user would
accomplish the same thing, but once again this doesn't seem to be how
Pykota works.

Thanks for the suggestion.

On Thu, 30 May 2013 20:02:18 +0000
Post by Börje Sennung
[...]